Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Beachcombers - Day Eight of the 30/30 Challenge


The Beachcombers, 
Watercolor on Arches #140 Cold Press Paper, 6"h x 6"w, 2015 #10

Bid in My DPW Auction (Starting Bid $35)

Day eight of the challenge -- A busy day today and I did not get to paint until very late in the day. This is no time for fiddling! I took out my 1" synthetic hair flat and quickly laid a light wash of sky and sand color on very wet paper to establish the composition. The distant headland and modelling on the beach came next, as the paper just started to dry. When I added the darker color of the surf, leaving out a stripe of white paper to indicate the foam, I noticed that the paper is getting quite dry, and I was able to get some dry-brush effects by using thicker paints picked up by the barely damp brush. I added the near-shore rocks as well as the darkest color of the headland last, scraping with palette knife again to indicate some lighter planes on the rock, and get a bit variations of surface texture. To balance the composition and reduce the "emptiness" of the large sand foreground, I added some silhouette of a few sandpipers, as I painted this painting based on a previous plein-air piece at Linda Mar Beach of Pacifica, and you really can see these lovely little critters everywhere near the tide line on that beach! Now time for bed...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...