Sunday, September 20, 2015

Savannah Moon - Day Twenty of the 30/30 Challenge



Savannah Moon, Watercolor on Arches #140 Cold Press Paper, 6"h x 6"w, 2015 #22

Bid in My DPW Auction (Starting Bid $40)

Day Twenty of the challenge -- today I am playing with limited palette again, starting with a concept of nocturnal and aridity, I used mostly Raw and Burnt Sienna with a little Indantrine Blue added to cool down the mixture in distance, and just used a large 1" flat sable brush to make various wet and dry marks to indicate foliage. Linear marks were added later with a rigger or scratched into the wet paint as it dried to suggest branches. The moon was lifted in the end with a stiff-haired synthetic rounds. As I have mentioned before, limited palette makes it especially easy to explore quiet, somber moods, and create a sense of mystery. I added the distant group of trees when evaluating the composition and found my foreground foliage shapes have slowly crept up toward the middle of the picture as I was painting, despite my initial planning and composition sketches warning myself not to do so. And the small, distant tree shapes serve well to break this center-symmetry, providing much-needed pictorial relief. Reminding myself I need to stop more frequently while painting to evaluate the development of the composition and avoid such problem in the first place! :-P Lol...

1 comments:

  1. Have been enjoying all of your landscapes, Arena. Lovely, thoughtful work to become lost in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...