Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Blush of Spring (Finished), and Continuation of Sun Dance

Most part of the day today was spent on finishing the small tulip painting I started a couple of days ago, but did not get a chance to work on more until today. The annual tulip art festival in Oakland is coming up, so I want to have several tulip paintings ready for it -- it's not exactly an art festival, but I'm looking forward to meet many local florists there, and want to see if there is an opportunity to develop collaboration with them, and maybe show some of my art in local floral shops... We'll see how that goes in a couple of weeks.

This one has taken quite a while for me to finish, since colors seem to sink in on rough paper surfaces, and just appear to be less bright. It took me many glazes to reach the color intensity and value depth on this one -- luckily, rough paper also takes glazes very well and the colors put down on it does not lift easily!


A Blush of Spring,  Watercolor on Arches 140# Rough Paper , 7"h x 5"w, 2012 #20

Sold!

I also did a little more work on Sun Dance, finishing the overpainting of the background wet-in-wet. There are parts that I am more happy with than others, but that is just the nature of painting wet-in-wet -- there are times that you just have to bind your hands behind your back and say to yourself : "I'm just going to accept what happens on the paper and respect watercolor for doing what it always does..." And maybe, trying to learn from the less perfect parts and make improvements next round up! 


Sun Dance,  Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 8"h x 8"w, WIP 5

1 comments:

  1. Blush of Spring is wonderful, Arena. I love the almost electric-looking background!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...