Thursday, January 12, 2012

Work in Progress: Two Rose Paintings

Today is a long day on the road driving for me, but I did manage to work a little bit on the rose painting "Hide and Seek". I have wet all the areas that are directly in sun light, and flooded some New Gamboge and Cadmium Yellow Deep there:



Hide and Seek,  Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico 140# Cold Press Paper , 5"h x 7"w, WIP 2

Then I start to develop some individual pedals here and there, using Cobalt Blue mixed with Quinacridone Magenta to underpaint shadow areas, and Permanent Rose mixed with various amount of New Gamboge for the local color of pedals. Once these are laid in, I may rewet various curved parts of pedals and drop in darker reds to indicate changed plane, and glaze the cast shadows.


Hide and Seek,  Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico 140# Cold Press Paper , 5"h x 7"w, WIP 3

I also started another small painting of a white rose. I love the soft blue-grey shadows on its pedals, and started to underpaint them with various mixture of Cobalt Blue and Cobalt Violet. I've also underpainted the reddish veins of leaves, and laid in a mid-dark background with various granulating colors. I tried different color mixtures in different parts of the background, so they look a bit jumpy from place to place right now. But I will probably glaze over them with a darker mixture to unify them -- hopefully still let some granulation showing...


Snow White,  Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 10"h x 8"w, WIP 1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...