I've been sifting through reference photos and starting more and more new projects these few days -- I think it is time to finish some old ones! Contrary to the obvious "should", I have started two new tulip paintings today... (OK, I promise I will try to finish some projects in the coming days... :-P)
I did some wet-into-wet underpaintings on both of these pieces, to ensure the background is soft and out-of-focus. I also did a little underpainting on one of the Tulip flowers, which would be strengthened in value and saturation and softened by a wet-into-wet overpainting. It is a bit like painting the same image twice -- the first one providing a ghost road map for the second one.
Spring is tulip time, and I think it is really time to finish some of them up...
Spring Breeze, Watercolor on Arches 140# Rough Paper , 7"h x 5"w, WIP 1
Spring Breeze II, Watercolor on Arches 140# Rough Paper , 7"h x 5"w, WIP 1