I finished this small painting of morning glory today. Since there are a lot of contrast between the dark background and the back-lid flower, the photo is not ideal -- it does not show all the subtle color differences in the dark background, from cooler greens and blues to warmer red-purples. Also, the very light lavender and violet hues in the flower are almost washed out. If only the camera could work better!...
Morning Glory, Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico 140# Cold Press Paper, 5"h x 5"w, 2012#2
Since I do not like the very hard edge created by masking fluid, I painted this picture without using masking. All the painting around has proven to be challenging, but dividing the whole image into sections and finish each section wet-in-wet in one go helps. I am especially happy about how the leaves turned out.
I also had time developing the plumeria painting a little bit more -- finishing the leaves and backgrounds surrounding the flower. I find putting in some darker values helps gauging how dark the shadow on the light pedals should go. On a blank sheet of paper, they almost always look too dark to me! I guess I have a long way to go in eyeballing values accurately...
Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico 140# Cold Press Paper , 6"h x 6"w, WIP 2
At this point the flower looks way too pale. I will glaze over the shadow areas on the pedal with a grey mixture of Permanent Rose, Aureulian Yellow and Cobalt Blue to give it a bit more depth, then do the yellow flower center. I can't wait to see how it turns out!