Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Work in Progress: Plumeria II (Almost Finished!) and Hide and Seek (Another Rose Painting)

The two versions of Plumeria II are drawing close to finish. I have put in the dark background wet-into-wet, and just waiting for the center golden colors to be put in. I chose to put in the yellow last so that they would stay on top and be brilliant, and have dominance over the shadow colors. I will put in them thickly after flooding each pedal with clear water. This is a scary process, since I'm always worried that the layers of color underneath would lift, especially for the Fabriano paper. I'm going to try to be very light-handed...



Plumeria II,  Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico 140# Cold Press Paper , 5"h x 7"w, WIP 8


Plumeria II (Version 2),  Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 5"h x 7"w, WIP 3

I'm also starting another small rose painting. I have named it "Hide and Seek" since part of the flower is hidden under out-of-focus leaves. I have started the painting with a soft, wet-into-wet underpainting, and trying to be careful to leave plenty of white areas for possible lights. I've added some darks made from Alizarin Crimson and Prussian Blue in the background corners to give myself some anchors about how dark the shadows on the flower should go. 


Hide and Seek,  Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico 140# Cold Press Paper , 5"h x 7"w, WIP 1

The show season is rapidly approaching and I should be painting larger pieces to meet the deadlines, but I am really procrastinating... I feel that I like the painting process much better when I don't have in mind that "I am painting this to try to submit to a show"... Well, I guess the solution should be painting many pieces well ahead of time so that I don't have to do a particular painting just to try to meet the deadlines! Something to try for this year... :-P

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...