Monday, May 28, 2012

Summer Wakening (So Close to the Finishing Line...), and the Beginning of Petal Light III

I was reading Kara's blog post and she mentioned that some paintings just come easier than others (and she got a beautiful painting of earthenware to prove it). Well... This painting is just the contrary - every step has been a struggle. I was trying new techniques learned in the fabulous Jeannie Vodden's class, and tested multi-colored glazing on the flower. It is so against my nature to build thing layers of color gradually to full strength that time and time again I had to control my urge to just go right in with a thick brush load of Vermilion Red and achieve full intensity in one go! I am also using limited palette, which is so against my nature (I have 57 pigments on my palattes, really, I just counted... =___=b....). But in the end, I did like the more delicate, jewel-like glow created my multiple glazes. The color looks... richer, and with subtle variations. The limited palette created a more harmonious feel of the color scheme (I was going for a rough complementary of red vs. green). And finally, I did get a chance to play with rich, saturated colors in the wet-in-wet background! That feels like candy...


Summer Wakening, 
Watercolor on Lanaquarelle 140# Cold Press Press Paper , 10"h x 8"w, WIP 7

For the next project I chose to exercise with completely different technique -- paint from shape to shape and each shape to its completion before to move to the adjacent shapes. It's a technique I think suitable for Fabriano paper, on which glazing is hard but lifting is easy -- hence I could soften edges of adjacent painted areas relatively easily, without having to worry too much about the hard rims of color formed between two areas painted next to each other, both wet-on-dry. (Or so I hope... We shall see :-P.) It's another bird of paradise painting, No. 3 in the "Petal Light" series. (I know, I know, I have not finished either No. 1 or No.2 of this serie; but... On my defense: starting a new painting is always fun!)


Petal Light III, 
Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico140# Cold Press Press Paper , 10"h x 14"w, WIP 1

I will try to finish a couple of paintings I've started long ago. I've taken them out for reevaluation and got some valuable in sight from it. I promise...

9 comments:

  1. Hi Arena. Your rose is truly jewel-like from the many thin glazes - gorgeous work! And I was interested to hear about painting on the Fabriano. Thank you for that info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kathryn! One of these days I will need to pressure Kara to spill out her secrets of painting those gorgeous still life paintings on Fabriano -- I have often found it difficult to paint on this paper...

      Delete
  2. Wow, that light is frickin' fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arena,

    Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog intro post - I'm so glad you stopped by, because now I know about your blog and fabulous watercolors! Even though I don't paint many florals, they are one of my favorite subjects as a photographer, and I've always thought that watercolors were the perfect medium to capture their brilliance and jewel-like qualities, and your work captures both perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sonya! I have just read your first blog post after coming back from your Utah trip. What a wealth of information and those beautiful sights! I love your plein air landscapes and I have always been longing to paint landscapes, but always a little intimidated. How did you gather the courage and start at the first place?

      I can't wait to see your post for tomorrow...

      Delete
  4. Arena this is so beautiful! Such delicate petals but strength in values, really nice. :) And holy smokes how big is your palette to hold 57 colors?!!! I tend to work with a limited palette, I didn't think I did, but I realized that I do, and I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I have multiple loaded palettes... :-P

      I am learning the strength of a limited palette and love it more and more now. But I have to say that I am a hoarder for colors... =___=b...

      Delete
  5. BEAUTIFUL rose! I tend to agree about the layers. I think they produce a richness that can't be achieved with one stroke -- well, I can't anyway. In general, I think I'm always drawn to work that's been created with multiple layers, whatever medium is used. I'm interested to see how the Fabriano painting comes out. Looks great so far. Oh and thank you for the "shout out." :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...