Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fields of Gold (Private Commission)


Fields of Gold, Watercolor on Arches #140 Cold Press Paper, 8"h x 8"w, 2013 #36

(Private Commission)

I realized the lacking of updates on this blog for the past few weeks -- no, I have not been slacking off; rather opposite, I was very busy trying to catch up with deadlines of all sorts -- a set of paintings as gifts to friends for their birthdays, and some private commission pieces, as well as preparing for some local spring themes shows. I had quite a few exciting news from juried show circles as well as in the sales department, which I will share with you in the next few days' posts. It's rather late now and I just finished this commissioned piece of yellow tulip, which is for a very sweet guy who commissioned it for his wife -- as a gift for their wedding anniversaries! Isn't that something? She is dutch so tulip is a must -- and I tried my best to convey the sense of a sea of golden tulips with only one clearly painted in the center stage, the rest just hinted through various blurred shapes. I must say doing glazings of yellow is hard -- they lift so easily and you can't really paint them thickly on, for they will appear chalky and dead-looking! But I had fun combining the flower in one reference photo with leaves in another, and background from yet another different photo! and painting the leaves gradually from in focus to out of focus and blurred across the page is a lot of fun too...

You can purchase my 2013 wall and desk calendars here:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...