Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Remembering June (30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge: Day 15)


Remembering JuneWatercolor on Ampersand Aquabord, 6"h x 6"w, 2012 #17

Bid at My DPW Auction (Starting Bid $65)

This piece is my experimentation with painting details and layering light glazes on Aquabord, the former of which proven to be quite manageable on this surface, while the latter turned out to be quite difficult on segments where dense pigment has already been laid down -- more difficult than even the smooth hot press papers, that is. I was thrilled to have pulled it off on the lower right corner where the underwater stem of the water lily is -- I've painted the dark and light shapes of this section separately, and they appeared lacking of unity to the point that I was really frustrated, and just took out my squirrel quill brush, mixed a milk-consistency of Permanent Sap Green and Quinacridone Gold, and glazed the entire section with this mix. Some of the dark pigments lifted a little and the boundary blurred, for sure, but it actually turned out to enhance the illusion of "under water". 

On a different note -- the beginning of a year is normally the busy season for entering juried exhibitions, and I am pulling some late nights trying to finish some larger pieces, as well as trying to get a couple of small paintings done for a group show in the Main Gallery. With class at the atelier resuming, the pressure of finishing one small painting a day seems to be gradually taking its tolls. There are days that it just seems an impossible task to finish, or nothing I put my brush on turns out right. However, like a beginning marathon runner, I know I am just hitting this wall of my own limit and I will need to push through. The great thing about this challenge is that I have discovered many awesome artists through it, and I have read about their struggle with it along the way. The comradeship and encouragements from my peers and you, my dear readers, has kept me going this far. Thank you all so much... 

You can purchase my 2013 wall and desk calendars here:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...