I've been trying to finish "Sun Dance" without rushing it, adding layers upon layers of yellow glazes comprised of Aureolin, New Gamboge and Quinacridone Gold to try to recreate that glowing, velvety color of petals on paper. On areas that a purple tinge stubbornly keep on showing up, I have resorted to glaze with Cadmium Yellow, which is more opaque and therefore have a good unifying effect. The biggest struggle is trying not to lay any layer down too thickly -- which makes the yellow look opaque and muddy. Yellow has limited covering power and sometimes up to a dozen glazes are needed to reach the desired color strength. It is a very testing process to one's patience...
Sun Dance, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 8"h x 8"w, WIP 7
Waiting for the yellows to dry, I've also managed to start several small pieces of tropical flowers. The one with bird-of-paradise in close-up, I've tried to lay down all the background foliage patterns in one wet-in-wet application, while the one with heliconia (photo curtsy: the wonderful blog "Digital Flower Pictures". Thanks a lot for allowing me to use your beautiful heliconia photo as reference!) I'm trying to go slowly and take the layered approach. This is an experiment for me to figure out which one produces the best balance between interesting abstract shapes -- which often happens when you let watercolor flow on wet paper by itself without much interference -- and the hint of foliage -- which requires more careful planning and application. I will share my discovery with you here in a couple of days, hopefully... ;-)
Jungle Fire, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 8"h x 10"w, WIP 1
Heliconia Dance, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 7"h x 5"w, WIP 1