Monday, June 4, 2012

Work in Progress: Edge of Summer II (Inching Forward...), and More Good News from the Shows!

I spend the better half of yesterday and most of this morning working on the background, wetting each area and floating in dark, staining pigments -- Alizarin Crimson, Prussian Blue, Quinacridone Burnt Orange and Winsor Green, letting each pigment dominating one section of the background, but making the influence of other colors in this group visible as well. The goal is to use semi-abstract shapes to hint more flowers and foliage in the background without really painting them one by one...


Edge of Summer II, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper, 10"h x 14"w, WIP 3

After all of the sections dried, I reassessed the image and decided that most of the sections needs at least one more pass of even darker colors. This is a bit scary since wetting areas with already quick thick pigments is a truly risky business. The colors that are laid down thickly tend to move with the slightest addition of water... I used squirrel hair brush with very light touch to do this. The contrast looks much better with this additional passage of dark color mixtures. Now I can start to add definition to the flower centers, which are to be the center of focus.They are the only warm-colored areas in a predominantly cool image with the most amount of detail, I hope this would help them to stand out...


Edge of Summer II, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper, 10"h x 14"w, WIP 4

Aside from painting, I've received more good news from juried shows... Today in the mail I've got my acceptance letter from Haggin Museum -- "High Summer Dream" has been accepted into Stockton Art League's Annual National Juried Exhibition to be held at the museum! This year's Juror of Selection is Mr. Craig Nelson, director of the fine art, drawing and painting program at San Francisco Academy of Art. I am really honored to be included in this high quality show...


High Summer Dream, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper, 10"h x 14"w, 2012 #1

Even more excitingly, I've also got acceptance letter from San Diego Watercolor Society that "Hide and Seek II" has been juried into their 32nd Annual International Exhibition by Nicolas Simmons! I am excited beyond any words now... Since I'm such a big fan of Mr. Simmons' work! To be selected by an artist you admire is very encouraging. When I opened the acceptance letter, it feels as if the whole day's tiredness has been washed away by it...


Hide and Seek II, 
Watercolor on Jack Richeson Zoltan Szabo140# Cold Press Paper, 10"h x 14"w, 2012 #28

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...