Monday, February 20, 2012

Work in Progress: Spring Breeze IV (Continued...)

Compared to the first version of this painting, the 5"h x 7"w "Spring Breeze II", I have tried a different, more controlled approach to created the soft look of out-of-focus flowers and leaves in the background -- to layer all the visible colors one at a time after rewetting each area instead of trying to do them all in one go wet in wet. It's taking longer, but definitely gives more controls of the final color and value of each area. To create a soft transition, I would wet an area slightly larger than what I intend to paint, so that the paints does not stop abruptly at the edge of each shape. So far, I'm happy with this strategy, but slightly worried that with each layer of thicker paints being put on paper surface, eventually they would start to lift off. Let's see how much abuse Arches can afford...





Spring Breeze IV, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 10"h x 14"w, WIP 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...