Friday, February 17, 2012

Work in Progress: Spring Breeze III, & (Old) News of Richeson 75 Small Works 2012 Show

More tulip paintings... I have two more in line, and I am temporarily obsessed of how to get all those different shades of pink vivid and distinctive. I have also done two big ones for Watercolor Art Society - Huston (WAS-H) and North West Watercolor Society shows, and now a third one for the Society of Watercolor Artists - Fort Worth Show. Time is catching up with me...

In this one I have glazed the background again and again with mixtures of Cobalt Blue, Peacock Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Aureolin Yellow, Quinacridone Gold, Permanent Sap Green, Viridian Green and Hooker's Green to try to achieve the soft light-ringed effect on the background, leaving subtle bands of darker, muted greens in diagonal passages to contrast with the round forms of lighter shapes. On larger backgrounds where a single flower is painted, it is very easy to make viewer lose their interest if the background is painted more or less uniformly or randomly (total randomness is processed by human eyes as white noise, and hence treated somewhat like uniformity). Glazing is relatively easy on Arches Cold Press paper, but repeated glazing do disturb the initial interesting granulation effects formed by dropping Cobalt, Ultramarine and Viridian onto wet paper surface. 


Spring Breeze III, Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper , 9"h x 6"w, WIP 1

Finally, before I forget again -- this is old news now but the Richeson 75 Small Works 2012 Show is now online! The show is in Richeson Gallery in Kimberly, Wisconsin for viewing from February 6th to March 30th, so if you are in the area, feel free to drop by and take a look! I am honored to have my work "High Summer Dream" juried into this show -- the quality of work included in this show makes my jaw drop...


High Summer Dream (Juried into Richeson 75 Small Works 2012 Show), 
Watercolor on Arches 140# Cold Press Paper, 10"h x 14"w, 2012 #1

Bid at My DPW Auction (Starting Bid $150)

1 comments:

  1. Arena, that is a great effect you achieved with all those glazes - love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...