Thursday, January 19, 2012

Work in Progress: Spring Breeze (More Tulip Paintings!...)

I've been sifting through reference photos and starting more and more new projects these few days -- I think it is time to finish some old ones! Contrary to the obvious "should", I have started two new tulip paintings today... (OK, I promise I will try to finish some projects in the coming days... :-P)

I did some wet-into-wet underpaintings on both of these pieces, to ensure the background is soft and out-of-focus. I also did a little underpainting on one of the Tulip flowers, which would be strengthened in value and saturation and softened by a wet-into-wet overpainting. It is a bit like painting the same image twice -- the first one providing a ghost road map for the second one.

Spring is tulip time, and I think it is really time to finish some of them up...



Spring Breeze,  Watercolor on Arches 140# Rough Paper , 7"h x 5"w, WIP 1


Spring Breeze II,  Watercolor on Arches 140# Rough Paper , 7"h x 5"w, WIP 1


3 comments:

  1. Arena, I love your watercolors, and the tulips are so pretty! I can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are off to a lovely start, and I can hardly wait to see the finished pieces! I love watercolor, especially for flower painting.

    Thanks so much for visiting my blogs and for your kind and encouraging comments. I'm so happy to have found another beautiful blog from which to be inspired. Take care, and happy painting! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arena, you are off to a great start with both paintings. I look forward to seeing their progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...